Martha Trimble and Trimble Court Artisans

Submitted by: Staff

Martha Scott Trimble was born in Fort Collins, Colorado on May 27, 1914. She was the granddaughter of William Harrison Trimble who brought his family to Fort Collins in 1874. His five children, James H., Charles W., Martha A., Robert E., and Martha's father Edgar Harrison Trimble helped to establish the small community. The family invested in many businesses. The legacy of the family's many business interests is demonstrated in the Trimble Business Block and in Trimble Court, an alley in old town Fort Collins that once was a street between College and Linden. The Trimble family had a restaurant, a billiard parlor, a barber shop, and other businesses. These businesses provided a good living and social background for the Trimble descendants.
Martha's father Edgar H. Trimble, in partnership with his brother Charles, continued the family business selling livestock feed. Edgar and Flora May Clark Trimble raised Martha in comfortable surroundings, which enabled her to participate in many social and school activities.
Martha was educated in Fort Collins from her primary school to receiving her bachelor of arts degree at Colorado State University in 1936. She was an active participant in the local activities which were open to a young woman of her era. Her scrapbooks show her taking part in debate, theater, and many social occasions. She was also a devoted member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church and a dynamic part of the spiritual life of the community.
After completing her bachelors degree, she taught at Washington County High School until 1939, and then she taught a year at Fort Lewis College. While teaching at Fort Lewis she completed her masters degree at the University of Colorado. Upon receiving her masters she was hired as an English instructor by Colorado State University and taught there from 1940 until 1942. While she taught at Colorado State she found time to begin her post-graduate work at the University of Iowa. At the end of 1942 Martha took leave from the university to serve her country in the Navy. She spent the next three years at Pensacola, Florida at the Naval Air Station as a WAVE, the branch of the naval service open to women. Her job there was, among other duties, serving as a navigation instructor for the male pilots. Martha Trimble completed her service in 1946 and returned to the field of education.
Martha was married in 1953 to Alan B. Adam. After the marriage ended in divorce, she again took up her teaching career.
In 1961 she returned to Colorado State University as an instructor of English. She was honored many times for her teaching and community service, and eventually was given full professor status in 1977. She was active in St. Luke's Episcopal Church and other community organizations including the Fort Collins Historical Society and the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was included in the 11th edition of Who's Who of American Women.
Martha Trimble was also instrumental in establishing and supporting Trimble Court Artisans in 1970, a local and juried artists' cooperative that features the works of over 50 local artisans.

Geolocation

Social Bookmarking